Coriolis mass flow inaccurate reading

Hi Gets

When using Coriolis mass flow meters to measure liquids flow oil with entrained GAS from the well productions , the meter reports inaccurate readings. Entrained Gas gives inaccurate reading comparing to metering system, as the entrained maybe absorbs some of the energy. The energy is limited by intrinsic safety requirements and therefore cannot be increased.

Any advise are welcome

How much error is there?

I am willing to bet there is a K factor setting that isn’t correct. I would call my vendor and tell them what issues I am having. Probably should pull (at minimum) the serial number which in our case will allow the vendor to pull up the configuration settings. They may be able to provide you a solution over the phone.

1 Like

Entrained gas can indeed present a significant challenge when measuring fluid flow using Coriolis mass flow meters. The presence of gas bubbles in the liquid stream causes the Coriolis meter to read inaccurately. This is because the meter is designed to measure a homogeneous liquid or gas, and when the fluid is not homogeneous (like a liquid with entrained gas), the meter will struggle to produce accurate measurements.

Coriolis mass flow meters Inaccurate Readings

Some potential solutions or mitigations to consider are:

1. Use Entrained Gas Management (EGM) technology: Some modern Coriolis meters are equipped with EGM technology that allows them to maintain accuracy even with gas entrainment. These meters are designed to continue operating through gas entrainment events, recovering quickly to ensure minimum loss of measurement.
  2. Improve fluid conditioning: Consider installing equipment to better condition the fluid before it reaches the flow meter. This could be through the use of separators, coalescers, or degassers to remove entrained gases before the fluid reaches the meter.
  3. Use a different metering technology: If a significant amount of entrained gas is expected and cannot be removed effectively, it might be better to use a different type of flow meter. For example, multiphase flow meters are specifically designed to handle fluid mixtures that include gas, oil, and water.
  4. Optimize your process: If possible, try to adjust your process conditions to minimize the amount of entrained gas. This could include changing pressures, temperatures, or flow rates, or adjusting the configuration of your piping or equipment.
  5. Consider the installation: Install the Coriolis meter in a location where the fluid has the least amount of entrained gas. Avoiding high points in the piping where gas can accumulate can be beneficial.

Please note that all these solutions should be considered in consultation with an instrumentation expert, and consider the specifics of your application and system.

1 Like