What is difference between pressure control valve and flow control valve?

The difference is exactly how it sounds. A pressure control valve (PCV) opens and closes based on the set point predetermined by an engineer. This is usually controlled using a pressure transmitter (PT). The PT is basically an electronic pressure gauge that sends signals to the PCV and tells it whether or not there is enough pressure entering the equipment and the PCV opens or closes to compensate.

The flow control valve (FCV) is exactly the same except it gets it’s signals from a flow transmitter (FT). Just like the PT, an FT is basically a flow meter that is able to communicate with a related valve. Again, like the PCV, the FCV opens or closes based on the required flow and the signals it receives from the FT.

1 Like